The Glorious Mundane

August 30, 2011 · 19 comments

Post image for The Glorious Mundane

by Gloria Furman

“Eeew,” a little girl said as she walked by my shopping cart. I checked my kids for any lingering grape jelly on their faces. Nope.

I looked down.

There was a “gift” from my baby– a mustard-colored stain streaked from my shoulder to my waist. (How do babies do that?)

“It’s just a season,” a bemused stranger commented as she watched me wrestle my stroller, infant, and two preschoolers into a bathroom to change my shirt.

I laughed out loud but grumbled in my heart, “I wish someone could give me the forecast for the rest of the season!” I seriously considered wearing a poncho until my kids are in middle school.

“You’ll get your real life back later, don’t worry,” the woman assured me as she washed her hands.

I sighed– not a sigh of relief, but a sigh of discontent. This is my real life. Babypoop stains on my shirt, wrangling preschoolers through stores, breaking up sibling squabbles, scraping dried applesauce out of the carpet…

Can I confess something to you? I wanted her to be right. I kind of like the idea that I’m living in some bizarre, alternative reality. Then God used that stranger’s comment to convict my heart to its core.

I had lost a sense of gratitude to God for the gifts He has given me, including the supremely valuable gift of Himself.

It makes me sick to my stomach to consider how I’ve missed out on the joy of His presence as I complained about serving my family, as I grieved over things like not being able to take spontaneous trips to the coffee shop, and as I kept a mental record of how much sleep I’ve lost so I can host pity parties.

The Bible says, “Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).” God wants to be honored through our actions and attitudes– day-in and day-out through every season. And don’t I want to experience joy when I’m knee-deep in a spring cleaning fiasco or feeling buried by a full day after I’ve been awake all night? Of course I do. Don’t we all?

That’s what this blog is about.

God wants to redeem every mundane minute of your life for His glory and your joy.

We’re specifically discussing how the gospel of Jesus Christ applies to the mundane and brings us joy when we’re “in the middle of it.” In order to discuss this, we want to dig deep into God’s word– the Bible. The Bible has a lot to say about the mundane moments of life.

The Bible says that for those who are in Christ, Christ is in them as well. We live our lives through Him– as He lives in us.

“I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me (Galatians 2:20).”

Will you consider joining us on our journey in applying the gospel to the mundane? Please click here to read more, or click here to learn how to subscribe.

Gloria is from all over the US (mostly Texas). In 2008 she moved to the Middle East with her husband Dave to plant Redeemer Church of Dubai. They have three fun kiddos (Aliza, Norah and Judson). Gloria is writing a book for Crossway on grace in the mundane and enjoys serving the ladies in her community as a doula.

1 Maria August 31, 2011 at 4:43 pm

How true! You gave me new perspective today as I’m taking care of two sick kids while adding up just how many hours of sleep I lost last night.. Thank you, and the blog looks great my friends!

2 Gloria September 4, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Maria, I can totally empathize! Stay tuned for a post about connecting the gospel to caring for sick kids.

3 Laurie August 31, 2011 at 5:10 pm

LOVE this!! Looking forward to reading what the Lord inspires upon you to share with the world!

4 Jennie Allen August 31, 2011 at 5:20 pm

This is so well said. I think we want to just survive these years. But these years happen to be our life! The only one we get. Love your words friend.

5 Kim Hall August 31, 2011 at 10:35 pm

So glad you have gone live with this new venture! The mundane is truly glorious, in all its everyday, yet memorable trappings that give us the opportunity to show grace and forgiveness in tremendous abundance.

6 Tanya September 1, 2011 at 2:20 am

Thanks Gloria for this article. This came at just the right time for me as I was beginning to wallow in “my wants, my needs and my feelings” (catch phrase courtesy of Paul Tripp). I certainly needed to be reminded that even in the imperfections of this life, it is still a gift from God that should be cherished.
Thanks again to you and all the authors of this great site!

7 caroline helmers September 1, 2011 at 6:37 am

Thank you for creating this new blog! I think it is much-needed and have already added it to my google reader. Please keep the encouragement coming! I have a sweet little 8 1/2 month old and the transition to motherhood was quite a shock. I love the purpose of this blog – to bring God’s Glory into the everyday.
{I attend Redeemer Fellowship in KC… heard about it from Melissa Crawford}

8 jami nato September 1, 2011 at 11:04 pm

yes and amen.

9 steph September 2, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Gloria – love the post.
You will NOT believe who was in my house yesterday…..Nicole Waldo!!!????!!
She was doing a visa hop with a friend and as things go we meandered about the topic of why/how they ended up out here …. which eventually led us to you (=
So funny.
Would love a doula update!

10 Gloria September 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Steph, I actually do believe that. :) Doula stuff is going well!

11 Shannon September 2, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Fabulous!! Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only one who’s constantly covered in spit-up, drool, poop, or urine. Babies are leaky. Glorious mundane – what a lovely perspective. Can’t wait to see more!

12 Gloria September 4, 2011 at 4:57 am

Shannon, you are not alone! Consider the spit-up stains a badge of honor. :)

13 Susan September 3, 2011 at 8:34 am

Well said!

14 Debbie September 4, 2011 at 7:38 pm

(friend of Laurie’s)
Thank you so much for starting this blog and sharing the mundane with the reminder that even the mundane moments can be filled with joy. I need to change my focus and renew my own joy to be able to fill my family with joy.

15 Charlotte D'Mello September 5, 2011 at 9:42 am

Nice post Gloria! these blog posts actually remind us that we’re not alone. all of Gods people go through ups and downs in life. but how to honor God through our actions and attitudes is key. Thanks for sharing your experience.

16 Leisa Williams September 6, 2011 at 7:56 am

I think accepting the mundane is key to surviving domestic life. Each day I pray Jesus be Lord of my day, when I am what I do is where you have placed me and I want you to be part of it. When His presence fills your day those little tasks youyout t dread doing no longer become such a chore.

17 Lydia (Jones) McGuire April 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Gloria – I was so surprised and excited to see your article on Desiring God! I had not had the opportunity to see this website and I absolutely love it. What an encouraging website – I will definitely pass this along. Hope you all are well!