The Heart of Homemaking

April 12, 2013 · 8 comments

Post image for The Heart of Homemaking

by Gloria Furman

My homemaking goals are often thwarted by fleeting circumstances.

One time I sabotaged my clean kitchen when I knocked over a coffee carafe with the mop that I was putting away. Freshly-made guest beds have gone empty as weary travelers have had their flights change. The peaceful haven I hoped to present my husband at the end of his long day may be impaired by any number of unpleasant things. And how many meals have I ruined?

As we work in our homes as unto the Lord we honor him as we strive for excellence. And there’s something more– something weightier than earth-bound measurements of success. Our work lasts far longer than the just-polished look on the furniture and the afternoon breeze passing through the curtains.

That’s because the grace that has been shown to us in the person and work of Jesus Christ changes everything. The Christian homemaker’s heart beats with God’s passion to display the glory of his Son– crucified, risen, and reigning.

Please share– what are some of the passages from Scripture that come to your mind when you consider God’s passion for his glory? How does this shape your homemaking?

Gloria Furman (@gloriafurman) is mostly from Texas. In 2008 she moved to the Middle East with her husband Dave to plant Redeemer Church of Dubai. They have three fun kiddos and Gloria enjoys serving the ladies in her community as a doula. She is the author of Glimpses of Grace: Treasuring the Gospel in Your Home (Crossway 2013).

1 Becky April 12, 2013 at 6:53 am

The Scripture that comes to mind is Colossians 3:23-24, “Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.” Thank you for your words of encouragement! :)

2 Christy April 12, 2013 at 9:35 am

John 13:12-17 So often home making is simple servant hood, and that is what our Lord did for us. I have been working on moving in for a couple of days. It’s not work I enjoy, so thanks for this reminder of why it is important work.

3 Melissa McDonald April 12, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I’ve recently been meditating on John 21 where after the resurrection we see Jesus cooking breakfast for the disciples. He had served to the uttermost, but he had not finished serving.

4 Tim April 12, 2013 at 8:52 pm

With my family, it’s easy to pick those times when I’ve sabotaged my best efforts. What I go back to is that God makes all things new (Rev. 21:5), and his compassion is new every morning (Lam. 3:22-23). I’m glad he can renew my own efforts, efforts that are quite feeble without him but are quite powerful with him. (Phil. 4:13.)

5 Lisa Spence April 12, 2013 at 9:11 pm

2 Cor. 4:5-7 where Paul asserts that he and his fellow ministers proclaim not themselves but Christ as Lord and themselves as servants for His sake. I am the ordinary clay jar, the humble servant, and these verses remind me that the treasure is Christ!

6 Luma Simms April 13, 2013 at 2:36 am

Gloria, this verse encourages me as a wife and mother:

Have this mind among yourselves which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. —Phil. 2:5–8

When I think of how Jesus humbled himself for us, it softens my heart toward my family, especially during those times when the dragon of selfishness raises its ugly head.

7 Jessica April 13, 2013 at 11:51 pm

“And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.” ~ Philippians 1:9-11

8 Kara @ The Chuppies April 18, 2013 at 3:42 am

I’ve been reading through Colossians and I love Col 1:29–
“For this I toil, struggling with all His energy that he powerfully works within me.”
Reminds me of the “why” behind any work done for Him (Col. 3:23 & 24) and that toil will be involved…and most importantly…that I can trust Him for the power and strength needed…that it is His power that will sustain me and transform me (and my attitude when needed) :)