Rock-Solid Hope for the Weary

June 26, 2013 · 8 comments

Post image for Rock-Solid Hope for the Weary

by Gloria Furman

According to my due date, we’ve only got about a month left before we meet our baby “on the outside.” Despite this short time frame, when I feel the aches of physical pain or emotional stress I feel like those particular challenges will be forever. The hope that comes from “just hang in there” dwindles as these fatigues increase while I’m making breakfast.

For whatever circumstances we are in, where can we find reliable, lasting encouragement when waves of discouragement break on the shore of our heart? And when we feel we could be swept away by a current of self-pity, doubt, or fear?

We need a durable, enduring, rock-like hope. These words from one of David’s psalms come to mind:

“Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I” (Ps. 61:1, 2).

Jesus is the Rock. His grace has the upper hand over every single one of our circumstances and over the greatest problem in our lives, namely, our sin. The promise of Jesus’s help and presence and strength is more certain than any transient consolations.

Richard Sibbes compared our faith in Christ to an eagle flying high in the sky. Faith looks up to see Christ on his throne in heaven, and faith scans the earth to see Jesus ruling over all things for his glory and our good. These eagle eyes of faith see how our holy Triune God is for us. Placing our hope and faith in Christ does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us (Rom. 5:5).

When you feel like you “just can’t do this anymore,” whatever “this” may be, wait patiently as you cry out to the Lord. He will draw your heart out of the miry bog and set your feet upon the Rock. And when he puts a new song of praise in your mouth, belt it out with everything you’ve got! And many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord (Ps. 40:1-3).

Gloria Furman (@gloriafurman) is mostly from Texas. In 2008 she moved to the Middle East with her husband Dave to plant Redeemer Church of Dubai. They have three kiddos plus another on the way. Gloria is the author of Glimpses of Grace: Treasuring the Gospel in Your Home and Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full: Gospel Meditations for Busy Moms (Crossway 2014).

1 Tim June 26, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Praying for a healthy and timely delivery, Gloria, and that Dave and the kids are part of how God lifts you up as you wait!

2 Gloria June 26, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Thank you for your prayers, Tim! We’re all eager to meet this little one!

3 Ashley Baker June 26, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I have so felt like that with every baby I’ve had! But I love that even when we feel weary physically or emotionally Jesus is our Rock. Thanks for this post. Praying these last few days go quickly for you!

4 Lisa Spence June 26, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Yes and amen! I am thankful for the promise of Jesus’ presence and provision. He is good and He is faithful!

So excited about the arrival of your newest little one!

5 Joyie June 27, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Psalm 103 is one of my favorites that reminds me of how much The Lord cares for us. It speaks of his steadfast love enduring forever and the establishment of his kingdom, which happened through our savior, our hope! Most notably, verses 13 and 14 are my favorite. 13 As a father shows compassion to his children, so The Lord shows compassion to those who fear him. 14 For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust.
The Lord knows how utterly helpless I am and shows His mercy daily to me, against the trials of this world and against my own sin. Thanks for posting. Praying for a sweet time during these final days of pregnancy, that prayers of “How long, oh Lord?” will be answered with sweet baby cries and coos very soon!

6 Cecille Fabian June 28, 2013 at 7:29 am

This is a great reminder for me. I always exhaust myself thinking worrying of some issues….But I really have to put in my heart to be patient as He is in charge of our circumstances in life….

7 Jessica July 5, 2013 at 9:30 am

My dad put your book “Glimpses of Grace” on my Kindle library. I’ve been reading it while waiting for my baby to come! Here I am in the Philippines 3 days overdue with my 4th baby, and I decided to look up your blog. What a fitting entry for today! I didn’t even know you were expecting your 4th. I remember hearing you speak at a writing seminar at TGC WC12 in FL. Wow, thanks, sister for your writing ministry. I don’t know how you do it with your 4th on the way–by Grace I’m sure!

8 Gloria July 5, 2013 at 5:01 pm

That’s wonderful, Jessica! May the Lord bless you abundantly as you wait for this precious gift to arrive! Yes, all things done by God’s abounding grace to undeserving sinners. He truly does supply the means to do what we need to do what he’s called us to do– in such a way that is obvious that HE is the one who gets the glory! :) Blessings on you and your sweet 4th very soon– gf